IBMATA Chair Tony Smith has collaborated with Dover MP and Treasury Committee member Charlie Elphicke MP on a blueprint for Channel Ports border management post-Brexit.
The paper, ‘Ready on Day One‘ sets out a detailed plan to avoid gridlock and meet the Brexit Borders Challenge.
- Resilient roads to the Channel Ports, which sees the new Thames Crossing taken forward at speed, the M2/A2 upgraded and dualled all the way to the Channel Ports and the planned M20 Lorry Park to be delivered on time;
- Open for business, with systems ready on day one to ensure that customs controls are handled seamlessly, with long queues avoided and technology used to speed customs processing;
- A New Entente Cordiale to extend the Le Touquet Treaty to cover customs cooperation and build a new era of deeper co-operation with France;
- A Brexit Infrastructure Bill – a powerful new law to speed through administrative processes, enabling vital projects to be delivered on time;
- One Government at the border to ensure order.
Both Smith and Elphicke will speak at the ‘Brexit – Ready on Day One to Keep Trade Moving’ event at the House of Commons on October 17. They will be joined by speakers from the Road Haulage Association, Eurotunnel and Kuehne + Nagel.